In 2007, Chancellor Charlie Nelms established the Quality Service Initiative (QSI) at North Carolina Central University (NCCU) to create a respectful, responsive and encouraging environment for students, faculty and staff that will lead to greater retention and graduation rates. QSI provides an organizational focus on quality, customer satisfaction, teamwork and leadership within all NCCU functions with a view towards enhancing the experiences of its stakeholders and ensuring the long-term success of the university.
The Quality Service Initiative (QSI) is a dedicated individual and team effort towards achieving a culture of service at NCCU. QSI training provides quality service knowledge and skills. The performance management process provides accountability by including the delivery of quality service as a key responsibility and expectation for every NCCU employee. Individual and team action plans help to improve processes and enhance the delivery of services.
In conjunction with other cross-functional activities, the QSI will result in a quality-focused and customer-driven culture which will assure NCCU’s continued success in recruiting, retaining and graduating our primary customers – our students.
To create a quality service culture that ensures the NCCU experience will lead to greater customer satisfaction and higher retention and graduation rates.
To foster an environment where all constituents will encounter a respectful, responsive and resourceful experience that will make NCCU the University of Choice.
To ensure faculty, staff and student leaders will be trained and held responsible for delivering quality customer service in support of the NCCU’s strategic plan.
QSI at A Glance
- University-wide training initiative designed to:
- Enhance customer satisfaction
- Improve responsiveness
- Improve effectiveness
- Increase student retention and graduation rate
- Participation in training is encouraged.
- Benefits that accrue to the employee are:
- Greater skills to do their job
- Reduced stress
- Pride and recognition
- Portability of skills
- Enhances attractiveness and competitiveness of NCCU.
- All employees are expected to:
- Greet the customer promptly and courteously.
- Give your undivided attention to the customer.
- Asks questions to determine the customer’s needs.
- Listen carefully and empathize with the customer’s concerns.
- Provide knowledgeable, relevant and accurate information.
- Summarize to check for understanding.
- Act or agree on a clear course of action.
- Try to exceed expectations.
- Ask questions to check for satisfaction.
- Follow through.
- Apologize when appropriate.
- Thank the customer and offer further assistance.