The department's overarching mission is to foster broad inquiry within the visual arts and to provide opportunities to study non-western, aesthetically diverse cultural artifacts and experiences. As the first public liberal arts institution founded for African Americans, North Carolina Central University occupies a special niche that informs the study of art. In addition to traditional training in the visual arts, the Department of Art proudly celebrates and fosters the study of artistic productions of African and African American culture, emphasizing the past and present contributions of people of color. With such emphasis, we provide a uniquely designed curriculum to educate students pursuing visual arts careers in today's society and the global economy. Art majors explore technology, engage in internships, pursue individuality, and enjoy the creative fruits of cultural diversity.
The Department of Art is an academic unit within the NCCU College of Arts and Sciences. The Department offers the Bachelor of Arts in Art degree.
We uphold the core values of articulated in the strategic plan of NCCU and as educators, artists, and scholars, we value investigation of the world through self-aware participation in broad cultural discourses. In addition to preparing students formally and conceptually for careers in the visual arts, the department strives to foster the broadly transferable skills of inquiry, reflection, critical analysis, dialog, and expression.
Student learning values that reflect our departmental mission:
1. Student will become familiar with the central issues and processes in their chosen area of study.
2. Students will develop competency progressively throughout the degree program and will work
independently at the advanced level.
3. Students will achieve a high level of expertise in the practice of their chosen area of study.
4. Students will critique, discuss, and present their work in a professional manner.
5. Students will contribute meaningfully to artistic and regional communities beyond NCCU through engaging in learning opportunities and service learning.