About the Library
The mission of the libraries at North Carolina Central University
is to provide resources and services which support the University's
educational, research, cultural and public service objectives. Library
resources at North Carolina Central University are located in the
James E. Shepard Memorial Library, the
Music Library, the Library
of the School of Library and Information Sciences, and the Library
of the School of Law. These libraries contain a total of over 850,000
volumes, and subscribe to approximately 5000 periodicals. Access
to these collections is provided by an integrated online catalog
and circulation system.
In 1994 NCCU became a member of the Triangle Research Libraries
Network (TRLN). TRLN is a cooperative comprised of libraries at
Duke University, NCCU, UNC at Chapel Hill, and NC State University
with combined collections of over 10 million volumes. NCCU students
and faculty can borrow directly from other TRLN institutions as
well as from the remaining constituent institutions of the University
of North Carolina System.
The James E. Shepard Memorial Library contains 500,597 volumes and
140,200 federal and state documents. Periodical subscriptions total
1928. Several microform collections and an extensive inventory of
full-text electronic databases are among the library's non-print
resources. Some of the electronic databases are remotely accessible.
In 1950, the library acquired the Martin Collection of books and
pamphlets on African American history, literature and culture. Many
of the titles and editions found in the famous Schomburg Collection
are duplicated in the outstanding Martin Collection.
Textbooks, curriculum guides, and non -print items in the field
of education are housed in the Curriculum Materials Center (CMC).
Videocassettes and audiotapes are also part of the CMC collection.
The Music Library, located on the third floor of the Edwards Music
Building, contains an excellent collection of instrumental and vocal
music, orchestral scores and records, in addition to carefully selected
books in the field of music. The Music Library is a branch of the
Since its construction in 1950 at the center of the campus, the
Shepard Library has served as the primary resource for teaching,
research and scholarship at NCCU. A major expansion of the building
in 1976 increased the total number of square feet to 104,364. In
2001, Information Technology Services designated the Library as
the location for the main student computer laboratory. Wireless
technology provides Internet access throughout the facility.
Although changes have occurred in the library environment with the
appearance of new formats and emerging technologies, traditional
values of helpful, supportive, individualized service remain firmly
entrenched in the culture of the libraries at NCCU.